The Djakovo Studfarm was founded by Bosnia-Sirmia bishops on their properties in Djakovo, wich were given to them as gift in 1239 by Coloman, King of Croatia and Hungary. This gift-deed was confirmed in 1244 by King Bela IV. It is considered that the Studfarm was founded in 1506, since then it had been mentioned for the first time in a document.
In 1806 Djakovo hosted the Lipik Studfarm which sought refuge from Napoleon. The transition to almost exclusive breeding of Lippizaner horses in Djakovo was made during the rule of Bishop J. J. Strossmayer. Studfarm was known throughout the Austria-Hungary Monarchy.
It is the oldest institution for breeding and selection in the Republic of Croatia. Djakovo Studfarm today holds exceptionally valuable genetic material, which, combined with successful selection repairs the population of Lippizaner horse breed.
Where to go next from the Djakovo Studfarm by bike