Near Nova Gradiska, on slopes of Psunj hill, is Cernik. It was mentioned in late 16th century for the first time, when Croatian nobles Zrinski had built this settlement as a place of defense against the Turkish Empire. But Cernik his glory and remembrance primarily owe to Franciscan order which founded there in 1623. Franciscan parish. Franciscan monastery started to be built in first decades when it was part of Austrian Empire (Habsburg). Building lasted from 1735. – 1744. when Church of St. Peter was built near monastery.
At 1757. In monsetry started Philosophical academy where were numerous participants of Slavonian culture of 18th century got basis of literacy, knowledge of Language and religion (among them Matija Antun Reljkovic).
Today, the monastery lives his quiet life and gladly welcomes new guests. With beautiful architecture and ambience offers a permanent exhibition “Excavations in the Holy Land” and “The History of the Bible.”