Virovitica, the city with a long history, is located at major traffic routes, in the plain, between river Drava and low, gentle, winegrowing and wooded hills. It is mentioned for the first time in13th century (Wereuche). Written documents tell the story of duke Koloman who gave a number of benefits to inhabitants of the big city Virovitica (magna villa Wereucha) in 1234, and “Zlatna bula”charter was also issued here in 1242 by King Bela IV, which proclaimed Zagreb(the capital of Croatia) a free royal city.
In 1804 the family of Count Pejacevic erected baroque- classicist castle that, surrounded by a symmetrical park, dominates the city center. It is a city with a soul that draws the deepest breaths in summer months, especially during City Days – ‘Rokovo’, when it becomes a gathering place of many visitors. During those days the city is “the centre of the world”, it is the seat of the region and the most desirable place in Slavonia. St.Roch is the patron saint of the city.