Kutjevo marks over seven and a half centuries long history connected to its manor. From the Cistercians’ convent in the 13th century, till today, periods of ups exemplary management (times of Cistercians and family of Baron Turković) have interchanged with periods of downs and neglect of the acquired goods (during the Turkish reign, 19th century and the second half of the 20th century). Today, it is a smaller place for whom even the Jesuits in the 18th century advocated to be declared a Town, but never managed to develop further than a trading place.
In the medieval written documents of the city was mostly referred to as Gotho, and rarely Kothoa. The entire architectural set was built by Jesuits from 1704 till 1735.The Castle as it is today is a part of the former Jesuit set which consisted of a convent church, residence (later to become a castle), and manors and gardens, and was established on the remains of a Cistercian Abbey. It changed appearance and owners during time, and during the upgrade in the 1990s its historical originality was preserved.