The Victory Column is one of the major tourist attraction in the city of Berlin. In German it is known as „Siegessäule“. The column was designed by Heinrich Strack in the 1800s to commemorate the Prussian victory in the Danish-Prussian War.
The 67m high symbol of victory originally stood in front of the Reichstag in the former Königsplatz and today’s Platz der Republik. It was relocated here, in the Tiergarten’s main roundabout by the Nazis in 1938. According to plans by Albert Speer the architect and visionary of Berlin as the new capital of the German Reich – Germania – intended to enhance the East-West axis running through the Tiergarten.